The AVI system is an online inventory web application that was developed by the Government of Alberta. The primary function of AVI is to track, record, report, create and receive vaccine orders and vaccine inventory.
AVI can be used from a computer or mobile with internet access and supports the latest versions of any browser. The production environment is a live inventory management site. Changes in this environment should only reflect actual changes to your physical inventory.
Vaccine Management Set-Up and Maintenance Administration Guides
System Administration Guides
System Administration Guides (Quick Reference Guides)
- Add or Edit Facility and Facility User
- Approving Orders
- Dis-Allow Facility Vaccine Returns
- AVI Order Multiple Lots
- AVI Reprint Packing Slip
- AVI User Report
- Order Sets
Known Issues and Best Practices Documents
User Guides and Training
AVI Responsibilities & Expectations Guide
Training Guides / Videos / Presentations
- Logging in to AVI-Video
- Creating and Receiving Vaccine Orders-Video
- Reconciling Inventory-Video
- Vaccine Ordering and Management Training
- Community Pharmacies: AVI Training Guide (PDF)
- Community Physician Clinics: AVI Training Guide (PDF)
* Downloading videos using Internet Explorer may take several minutes. Google Chrome is recommended for viewing training videos.
Quick Reference Guides
- Forgotten Password
- Reactivating Inactivated Lot Numbers
- Create a Transfer
- Receive or Reject an Order or Transfer
- AVI Search / Add Inventory
- Messages - Create and Send
- Messages - View and Manage
- Inventory Reconciliation
- Inventory Reconciliation - Wastage Correction
- Community Pharmacies and Physician Clinics: Removing Expired Vaccine in AVI
Vaccine Storage and Handling
- Alberta Vaccine Storage and Handling Policy for Provincially Funded Vaccine
- Alberta Vaccine Storage and Handling for COVID-19 Vaccine
- National Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidelines for Immunization Providers
- National Vaccine Storage and Handling Guidelines for Ultra-Low and Frozen COVID-19 Vaccines
As of January 1, 2021, the Immunization Regulation will require health practitioners to ensure a report respecting all immunizations and assessments are electronically submitted to Alberta Health within 7 days.
The free vendor independent web application that will allow for reporting is called the Immunization Direct Submission Mechanism (IDSM). The IDSM will facilitate the electronic submission of immunization and assessment event information into the Alberta Provincial Repository (Imm/ARI) for health practitioners that do not have an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system capable of integrating with Imm/ARI.
How do I sign up for the IDSM?
What other requirements do I need to meet in order to be eligible to provide immunization services to Albertans?
For information on the Alberta Immunization Schedule please visit:
For information on the Alberta Immunization Policy, including Cold Chain Management and Adverse Event Following Immunization, please visit:
For information on general immunization in Alberta please visit the Immunize Alberta homepage:
AHS Immunization Program Standards Manual: